Madame Ganna Walska purchased the property in 1941 and spent the next 43 years creating Lotusland. She had her own ideas on each part of the gardens should be and was not afraid to go “outside the box”. There are surprises at every turn. We had only caught the end of the lotus blooming season. I think end of June would be the best time to see the lotus flowers. My favorite part was the Reflection Pool. It was a shallow kidney-shaped pool with beautiful abalone shells as the border.
Reservations are required for touring the gardens. Please visit the website for details.
The course is designed to enhance professional designers’ ability to envision and communicate their projects using the SketchUp program.
Tuesday, April 22 – Thursday, Jun 5
(This is the 1st attempt of this type of course catering to working professionals. The regular semester is 20 weeks long.)
Open Lab: 9 am – 2 pm, Monday – Friday
Lectures/Discussions: 9:15 am – 11:30 am, Tuesdays & Thursdays
Participants will have access to the classroom and equipment during open lab hours. It is important to attend the lectures/discussions. Tuesdays will be for exploring ideas and deciding on learning objectives and Thursdays will be for actual demos. The first 5 weeks will have lectures and discussions. The final 2 weeks will be for project productions and reviews.
West Valley Occupational Center, Room 304
6200 Winnetka Avenue, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
818-346-3540 – school phone
Course fee: $100 (additional fees: $5 student ID card)
Course Section/Title: 709 CAD/Upgrade
Instructor: Julian Inchaurregui
Instructor’s approval required for registration. Please come meet the instructor prior to registration.
Course Outline & Details
Warning: This is not a course for those who want to learn the craft of CAD drafting and become drafting professionals.
Working with architects and interior designers, I often hear how the professionals would like to utilize SketchUp more for their businesses. Finally, there is a 7-week program for design professionals to learn practical SketchUp skills to enhance their design presentations.
- SketchUp works on both PC and Mac.
- SketchUp has a free version.
- SketchUp Pro is less than $600 for 1 license; affordable compared to other CAD programs.
- SketchUp is easy to learn. No CAD experience required.
Here are some benefits design professionals can gain from this course:
- Learn SketchUp through a structured and organized curriculum.
- Produce simple 3D presentations for client meetings.
- Make quick and minor changes to SketchUp models prepared by a drafting professional.
- Develop better understanding of CAD and other presentation programs to communicate and collaborate with drafting professionals.
Job hunting is a form of art that requires planning and preparation. A job is not hard to get. But one needs to be a good hunter to get a job that encourages growth and builds a bright future.
- Phone Number (with an answering service)
- E-mail Address (keep professional)
- Business Cards
- Portfolio (in different formats)
- LinkedIn Profile (with a professional-looking profile photo)
- Ever-growing Network of Industry Contacts
- Analyze strength and weakness; figure out target positions and company types.
- Adjust ingredients listed above to showcase strength and to appeal to target employers.
- Search online job listings and send resume with cover letter/message tailored to each job.
- Research potential employers in desired area. Houzz.com is a good website to check out local professionals.
- Connect with professionals on LinkedIn if possible; Always add a personal message when sending LinkedIn Request.
- Prepare “Elevator Speech”
- Always look good; smell nice, and SMILE.
- Attend trade events to horn social skills and adjust your appearance; Always have business cards ready.
- After each event, review business cards collected and make notes on back of cards.
- Email new contacts as a follow-up of the event.
- Allow more-than-enough time before each interview; Never be late
- Be prepared to ask questions at each interview.
- Follow up after each interview
- Repeat above steps (in any order) as necessary.
- Good English is the key. Practice speaking clearly and write with correct spelling and grammar.
There is only one chance to make the first impression, so always look put together.
People in the business talk to each other; Always be on your best behavior.
Avoid any form of business communication when feeling angry, sad, depressed, irritated, sick, or tired.
1. Be Healthy
2. Be Professional
3. Be Sincere and Compassionate
4. Set Goals
5. Keep Improving
6. Promote Your Strength
7. Be Unique and Memorable
8. Build a Support System
9. Offer Help & Give Back
Last year, I was invited to be a guest speaker at two different classes in two different schools. I felt I could do a little more than just talking about my personal story. I got inspired to put together the 9 tips above. I feel strongly about each of the tips. So, after the two presentations, this gets a permanent spot here on my blog.